Sunday 28 August 2011

Cherry Lai Journal

This two-week study trip to the United Kingdom that we embarked on together has truly been one of the most wonderful experiences of my life. From the first moment I laid eyes on the red-bricked architecture that made up an abundant part of London, to the enchanting visits to many surrounding cities, until the very last meal at the authentic and comfy English pub, I have soaked up every minute of this trip with both wonder and gratitude. This trip allowed me to gain a much deeper understating of the country’s art, culture, literature, history and even cuisine, and there have been countless enjoyable moments and surprises along the way.

One of the most memorable experiences was no doubt watching the magnificent Shakespearean play Much Ado About Nothing at the Globe Theatre. I may not have watched many Shakespearean plays before, but to me, this was the art form presented at its highest. With minimal special effects and only inches separating the audience and the stage, the actors had to be completely confident, captivating and experienced in order to bring the Shakespearean comedy to life – and they exceeded that and so much more. The actors’ portrayals of the comedic characters, especially that of Benedick by the great Charles Edwards, were oozing with so much charm and charisma that one could not help but be completely mesmerized, yet they also did not lack the sensitivity and intensity when they needed to be. Moreover, the open-air stage setting, antique paintings on the cabin walls and the deep dark woods of the Globe Theatre instantly took me back to Shakespeare’s time when his peers would actually watch his plays at the same site, and standing on those grounds I felt so incredibly lucky to have been watching this excellent production at this special theatre.

Another thing that I really enjoyed about this trip, as haunting as it has been, was the visit to the Imperial War Museum. It was very memorable because it was my first experience coming face-to-face so vividly with something I have been studying for a long time in school. The trench warfare in the First World War and the bombing of London by Nazi Germany that resulted in the Blitz were events I was aware of but never fully comprehended just how traumatic they really were, but sitting on that wooden chair gripping my friend’s hand and listening to ear-splitting sirens and screams from above, and squinting my eyes through that dust-filled, fearful trench, the hopelessness and madness of war had never been felt more strongly. Moreover, looking at all the history, images and graphic videos of Adolf Hitler and the Holocaust, I was left questioning the ugliness and frailty of humanity, and most importantly the scary power of propaganda. How could the twisted, cold-blooded idea of one man come to brainwash the whole nation to collectively murder your closest neighbors? Human beings can be so weak and lost sometimes, that it is important to always remember this presentation in the Imperial War Museum that our world needs to always be united with compassion and love for one another, regardless of the many loud reasons that leaders may be spoon-feeding us to justify wars.

There were a few discoveries of England along the way that really surprised and impressed me, one of them being just how amazingly cultured the British people are. In all the museums that I was able to visit, I was astonished to find many local Londoners, from the older generation with their walking canes to young children with their parents, popping in to pay a visit and enjoy the art and history of their country. Even a personal friend from London that I met up with during this trip told me that she used to go take a walk in the National Gallery once every week just to keep herself inspired and at peace, and that a lot of people did the same. This was an entirely new idea to me and I think it is so impressive that the people of London could be so nurtured and educated in this aspect, whereas in Hong Kong where history and art are no doubt abundant as well, very little people take the time to appreciate them all. This realization has inspired me to not only aspire to visit some museums every once in a while, but also to simply take a deep breath, slow down, and take a look at all the beautiful and wonderful resources that we have around us that are often overlooked.

To say that this two-week trip to the United Kingdom has been rewarding and exciting is an understatement. I learned a great deal about this country and its people that I have come to adore and respect, and I am also happy to have embarked on this journey with the group of schoolmates that we had who shared my excitement but also at times, stress. I truly feel extremely lucky to have been a part of this trip, and the wonderful memories and experiences that I gained will stay with me forever.

No comments:

Post a Comment