Sunday 28 August 2011

Chloe Lam Journal

First of all, I appreciate the attitude of the British towards its history, traditions and culture. They are eager to tell, show and demonstrate their own treasure to others. I find it very fascinating and absorbing in visiting every historical site, museum or even just looking at the architecture on the streets. The British highly cultured feature became more prominent and comfortable when I came to Paris. Tourists were surrounded by a flock of souvenirs salespeople who kept approaching you and disturbing you from enjoying the attractions. My friend and I were greeted with spit after shaking our heads to a deaf and mute woman asking for kind donation. I was so astonished that I could not move or speak because I had never been treated so rudely in Britain. The warmest greeting in Britain was the passionate introduction of Bath given by an enthusiastic and nice old man. Both races are proud of their own cultures. I think the difference lies upon the willingness of sharing that with other people.

Another thing I learnt from British was having literature as a part of life. People there read thick books in the underground, which is a rare scene in Hong Kong. Children, the elderly and young couples watch Shakespeare dramas, musicals and operas as a leisure activity. It certainly has something to do with education system. However, after watching Much Ado About Nothing in Shakespeare Globe Theatre, I realised that literature could be easily accessible for everyone, depending on the method of presentation. Most of Hong Kong people would be scared away by English, no to say to appreciate Shakespeare or other great English authors. Indeed, I have never thought that Shakespeare can, on one hand, have a deep insight on human nature, but on the other hand, reveal it in a light and comical way. The drama stimulates my interest in studying more Shakespearean works.

Usually, when we step backward, we can see a bigger and clearer picture. In the past, I hated living in Hong Kong. It is crowded, small and seriously polluted. The grass is always greener on the other side of the fence. Everything in England, France, Germany and other big countries seemed better. However, after the trip, I realised that Hong Kong is never worse than those dominant countries, despite of its size. The infrastructure in Hong Kong is more advanced. At least there are escalators in MTR stations. The services provided in restaurants, airports and shops are satisfactory and efficient. Perhaps some of the Hong Kongers are arrogant and haughty but they will not show their racial superiority explicitly to strangers. I start to appreciate my own country more and in an objective way.

Finally, travelling is also a very good way to get a better understanding about myself when staying far away from my family and most of my friends. I know I am an independent and outgoing girl. I am excited in exploring a new environment. But there should be something else. For example, in the trip, I came to know that I was good at figuring out the directions and reading maps. It surprised me because I dislike geography and I nearly failed my geography exam when I was secondary one student. I can also be a skilful photographer or maybe I got enough practice throughout the trip, while usually I am taken photos in Hong Kong. I would better stop now to prevent other naming me as a narcissist. Anyway, it is wonderful and amazing to find out more facets of my character and develop my potentials through travelling.

No comments:

Post a Comment