Sunday 28 August 2011

Reflection on the Tour

The 2-week tour passed in a twinkle and stimulated me in many ways. I enjoyed the group activities as well as the free time on our own since this allows me to look into the country from both macro and micro levels.

I am very much impressed by the high awareness of preserving the past the UK government has. The historical sites and museums are well preserved and managed. The designs of the exhibitions and audio guides provide useful and clear information about the history of the places and people in the past. What is more, the preservation is done not only for the purpose of record. I got quite touched as I stepped on the creaking and squeaking upper floors in Shakespeare’s Houses when we were in Stratford-upon-Avon. Since the Houses are old in ages and quite fragile, it might be a lot better preserved if not open to the public. However they are still open to public visits. I think this particularly highlights the government’s determination to preserve the history physically as well as in the education level.

I am also very impressed by and enjoyed the art and cultural atmosphere in the UK. Upon arrival, I was taken aback by how reading is popular among Underground passengers. Later I realize that there are many opportunities for the people to engage themselves in great art and cultural activities. Not only are there easily accessible public libraries, bookstores and second-hand bookshops, there are also a large number of museums and galleries. In addition, there are theatre performances and festivals. I also enjoyed myself in these activities. I had a great time with the Shakespearean plays and the “Mamma Mia!” musical as well as my visits to bookstores and exhibitions.

During this 2-week, I have enjoyed the journey as well as got many stimulations. The great time during the journey will remain as great experiences and memories in my mind. 

No comments:

Post a Comment